A DOG video topped Google Philippines’s YouTube Ads Leaderboard, a bi-annual list of the top 10 Philippine ads on the video platform, which was released on Thursday.
The ads are based on “popularity and promotion,” notes a company release, with the new list highlighting “the continued popularity of local creativity” and brands’ using “different approaches” to attract and inspire Filipino audiences.
“It’s clear that brands are optimizing YouTube, seizing the opportunities unique to the platform to more effectively engage their audiences,” said the statement released by Google Philippines.
Globe Telecom dominated the leaderboard in 2017 as it once again took the top spot in the second half of the year with its “Because you can never have too many dog videos” holiday ad, which followed the success of its Star Wars-inspired #CreateCourage video in the first half.
The video — which currently has 9.8 million views on the platform and 85 million views worldwide — revolves around an old widower and the new connections he makes with a lost dog he rescues and its real owners over Christmas.
Globe Strategist for Digital and Social Content Kenn Penero said during the awarding ceremony at Google head office in BGC, Taguig, that it has a been long standing tradition for Globe to release these kinds of ads during the holidays, and the strategy behind this piece was to make the audience fall in love with the characters first before coming to the actual product.
“Through masterful storytelling, brands can nurture interests and fuel passions, hold the attention of millions, and grow their share of audiences online,” Gabby Roxas, Country Marketing Manager of Google Philippines, was quoted as saying in the Google statement.
One of the biggest trends among the winners was the use of music and dance elements, with six out of the 10 featured ads using musical and dance performances. The two other major trends were the use of vloggers (video bloggers) and the shift to “panoramic experiences” that focused on “trying to capture more than just merchandise but its impact on the lives of consumers.”
“The Leaderboard is increasingly skewed towards cultural content like music, travel, and advocacy. This approach is all about getting audiences [to] lean in and be engaged, with ‘selling’ as an afterthought,” said Google Philippines’ statement.
Knorr Philippines received special attention for its “When Mom Cooks Favorite Food (We Get Lit!)” entry, which placed 9th in the list. It features local vloggers Ranz Guerrero and Niana Guerrero in a scriptless, fourth wall-breaking 13-minute vlog.
Newcomers on the leaderboard were OPPO Philippines with its “CaptureTheRealYou with the new OPPO F5” video, and Philippine Airlines (PAL) with its “Fly the Way You Deserve with PAL” spot, which took 3rd and 10th place, respectively.
All the winners were awarded with framed stills containing comments from their videos, with the top three also getting special plaques, during the official awards night on Jan. 22.
Three special awards were decided by vote among the event’s atendees. Globe’s “#CreateNewTraditions” ad won the Lola Basyang Award while Nestle Philippine’s Milo ad received the Last Song Syndrome (LSS) award and the Best Indak Award.
Here are all the ads featured in YouTube’s Ads Leaderboard for H2 2017:
1. “Because you can never have too many dog videos/#CreateNewTraditions,” Globe Telecom (9.8 million views)
2. “Get #ChampionEnergy with James Reid, Ranz, and Niana,” Nestle Philippines/Milo (8.2 million views)
3. “#CaptureTheRealYou with the new OPPO F5,” OPPO Philippines (4.6 million views)
4. “Sweet-Sarap Dance Tutorial,” Jollibee Philippines (4.5 million views)
5. “#ThePLAN for Solenn Heusaff is to meet new people/ #Scenezoned,” Globe Telecom (3 million views)
6. “Jollibee’s Unbeatable Double,” Jollibee Philippines (3.1 million views)
7. “Coke Studio PH: Off of Center by Franco X Reese Lansangan,” Coke Philippines (3 million views)
8. “Capture the Night Anthem” featuring Liza Soberano, Samsung Philippines (2.3 million views)
9. “When Mom Cooks Favorite Food (We Get Lit!)” featuring Ranz and Niana, Knorr Philippines/Knorr Sinigang Mix (3.3 million views)
10. “Fly the Way You Deserve with PAL,” Philippine Airlines (1.6 million views)