THE Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) reiterated its determination to get to the bottom of the payroll padding scam that was recently uncovered in the agency.
Speaking after his meeting with National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) officials on Wednesday, PSC officer-in-charge Ramon Fernandez said the investigation is now ongoing to dig deeper into the alleged payroll scam involving one of the sports body’s employees, identified as Paul Michael Padua Ignacio of the PSC’s Personnel Department.
The sports agency is taking action and sought the help of the NBI after being informed by the Land Bank of the Philippines-Century Park Hotel branch last week of questionable transactions pointing to the account of Mr. Ignacio, who is in charge of preparing the payroll register of national athletes and coaches.
He was allegedly including in the list even the names of athletes and coaches who are no longer qualified to receive their monthly allowances and channeling the allowance money to his account.
The modus reportedly had been done for the last five years and has cost the government millions of pesos before it was uncovered.
Mr. Fernandez, who is currently holding the fort for the PSC with Chairman William Ramirez on leave, said they are determined to see the case through and bring those accountable to justice.
The NBI, for its part, said it has begun with its probe and is looking at other cases to file against the suspect apart from “falsification of public document” and “qualified theft.”
It is also probing the possibility of collusion between Mr. Ignacio and other people to commit the payroll scam and other illegal activities done by the former, who is now in its custody.
Mr. Fernandez assured the NBI of the PSC’s full cooperation in the investigation, saying they are not going to tolerate such activities under their watch.
He also lamented how such activities are happening, especially during these trying times with the pandemic. — Michael Angelo S. Murillo