Military locks down Isulan after 2nd blast; police officials relieved
PHILIPPINE NATIONAL Police (PNP) Director General Oscar D. Albayalde has ordered the relief of Isulan town and Sultan Kudarat provincial police officials in the wake of another bombing Sunday night, the second in just five days.
“We are saddened by the casualties brought about by this cowardly act perpetrated by people hell bent on their nefarious goals without regard for the lives of civilians,” the PNP said in a statement.
Initial reports indicated that the improvised explosive device, which hit an internet cafe, killed and 15 others injured, but the death toll has so far risen to two with one of the critically-wounded dying at the hospital.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), meanwhile, has locked down Isulan and ground forces have been directed to conduct relentless operations against groups believed to be behind the blasts.
Police and military officials have said members of the extremist Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters are behind the bombings.
The blast last Tuesday, which occurred just a few hundred meters away, left three dead and 34 others injured.
Malacañang on Monday condemned the latest incident and said President Rodrigo R. Duterte, who is currently on an official visit to Israel, “has been kept updated on all developments.”
“We strongly denounce the latest attack in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat. We are deeply saddened by the death of one innocent victim, per initial report, and pray for the swift recovery of those injured,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry L. Roque, Jr. said in a statement.
The Palace also asked the public to report anything that they find suspicious to the PNP and the AFP.
Isulan Mayor Marites K. Pallasigue, in a statement, announced the suspension of classes on all levels, both private and public schools.
She said there will be an emergency meeting with principals and school administrators regarding the matter.
Ms. Pallasigue also said the “investigators and the PNP” have already identified some “persons of interest.” — reports from Arjay L. Balinbin and Philstar