Aguirre orders return of high-profile inmates to Bilibid’s maximum compound
JUSTICE SECRETARY Vitaliano N. Aguirre II has ordered the transfer of some of the high-profile inmates currently detained in the Medium Security Compound to the Maximum Security Compound that is guarded by elite members of the police force.
“In the interest of service and pursuant to the provisions of existing laws, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor), is hereby ordered to immediately return to their original facility, all inmates who were previously transferred from Building 14 to Maximum Security or Medium Security and from Maximum Security to Medium Security, National Bilibid Prison (NBP), BuCor since [Dec. 1, 2016],” the one-page memorandum dated July 24 reads.
The Department of Justice (DoJ) has yet to release the names of the inmates.
Justice Undersecretary Erickson H. Balmes said in a message to reporters that the DoJ and the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) will hold a meeting later this week regarding the transfer order.
In an effort to eliminate the illegal drug trade within the national penitentiary, the government deployed members of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Forces (PNP-SAF) last year to the maximum security compound, where high-profile drug lords were detained.
Among those currently in the medium security compound are convicted drug lords Jojo Baligad, Vicente Sy and Peter Co. The three hugged headlines last year for testifying before the House of Representatives’ probe on the proliferation of the drug trade within the NBP.
Earlier in July this year, Mr. Aguirre admitted to a resurgence of the illegal activities within the prison. He added that the SAF officers assigned there were “tainted” due to their prolonged deployment and the large amount of money involved in the trade.
PNP Director-General Ronald “Bato” M. dela Rosa, for his part, said that the elite members of the police force, in fact, did not want to guard the national penitentiary for fear that their reputation might be ruined due to the continued drug trade.
Justice Undersecretary Antonio T. Kho, Jr., in a separate news conference yesterday, said that a new battalion-sized contingent of the PNP-SAF has been deployed to the NBP’s maximum security compound.
“We want the SAF to provide additional complement (force) but they are also involved in many activities. We cannot compel them or ask them to guard the entire NBP,” said Mr. Kho, the undersecretary in charge of BuCor.
Mr. Aguirre already issued an order to the National Bureau of Investigation to look into the revived drug trade. — Kristine Joy V. Patag