THE LABOR DEPARTMENT said that domestic workers will be deployed back to Kuwait once both countries agree on a standard employment contract.
Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III said in a briefing on Thursday that the Philippines and Kuwait have met to standardize the contract governing work conditions for household workers.
Mr. Bello added that coming to agreement on a standard contract is a priority of the government and domestic workers can expect deployment soon.
“It will come out very soon,” Mr. Bello said.
In May, DoLE lifted the blanket deployment ban to Kuwait, allowing skilled and professional workers to take jobs in the Gulf state.
Last month, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) issued Memorandum Circular No. 10 or Guidelines on the Resumption of the Deployment of Domestic Workers to Kuwait, to which Philippine recruitment agencies and principals must comply. — Gillian M. Cortez