COTABATO CITY — Bangsamoro Chief Minister Abdulraof A. Macacua assumed control on Wednesday of the region’s Education ministry after an audit report revealed the misuse of P2.2 billion worth of funds from its coffer.

Senior officials of different ministries and support agencies under the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) confirmed to reporters on Thursday that Mr. Macacua will take over the management and control of the Ministry of Basic, Higher and Technical Education (MBHTE).

Mr. Macacua, as figurehead of the 80-seat Bangsamoro parliament, is also overseeing the operation of all ministries and support agencies under the BARMM government.

Radio reports on Thursday stated that Mr. Macacua took over the post of Mohagher M. Iqbal, Education minister after he declined to resign, as requested via a memorandum sent to him last week.

“We just want to fix everything in the operation of the Ministry of Basic, Higher and Technical Education, nothing more,” Mr. Macacua told reporters on Thursday, after confirming his assumption as temporary caretaker of the MBHTE-BARMM.

The Commission on Audit earlier announced that the budget and finance records from the MBHTE-BARMM’s office in Cotabato City indicated that certain signatories had facilitated the questionable disbursements of up to P2.2 billion worth of ministry funds in less than a week sometime last year.

Mr. Macacua also informed reporters on Thursday that he extended the tenure of regional Health Minister Kadil M. Sinolinding, Jr.

“He enjoys the trust and confidence of the Bangsamoro regional leadership. The Ministry of Health has been functioning smoothly, efficiently with him at his helm,” Mr. Macacua said. John Felix M. Unson