THE Bureau of Immigration (BI) reminds all foreigners registered under the bureau to go to the immigration office nearest them starting this January until March 1 for their annual reporting to the bureau.
The procedure is required under the 1950 Alien Registration Act. Non-compliance may result in fines or cancellation of registration.
Foreigners registered with BI hold immigrant or non-immigrant visas and an alien certificate of registration identity card (ACR I-Card). They are required to present their original ACR I-Cards and valid passports and pay a P300 annual report fee and P10 legal research fee.
BI Commissioner Jaime H. Morente said registered foreigners who are currently out of the country are also asked to report to the bureau.
“Foreigners who are out of the country during the annual reporting period may make the report within 30 days from the date of their return to the country, provided they have valid re-entry permits,” Mr. Morente said.
“Two months is a long time. There is no reason for foreigners to miss the annual report. Those who will fail to comply will be sanctioned,” he warned.
Foreign nationals below 14 years old are exempted from appearing personally before the BI and their parents or guardians should report on their behalf. Senior citizens or people aged 65 years old and above are also exempted but are required to pay fees and fill out forms.
BI Alien Registration Division Chief Jose Carlitos Z. Licas also urged foreigners to file their annual report early.
“It has always been an issue that people file on the last few days of the annual report period, making the process burdensome for everyone,” Mr. Licas said. “We are urging foreigners to avoid (the) deadline rush by making their report earlier.” — Vann Marlo M. Villegas