MEGAWIDE Construction Corp. announced on Tuesday that the government had revoked its original proponent status (OPS) for the proposed P109-billion Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) rehabilitation project.

“Today, the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) announced the revocation of the partnership of Megawide and GMR Infrastructure’s original proponent status,” Megawide said in a statement via Viber.

Megawide said it would “immediately file a motion for reconsideration” for the proposed project.

“At all stages, Megawide has complied with all requirements and interpretations of the government for its unsolicited proposal. There are no justifiable grounds to deny the Filipino people a transformed NAIA,” it said.

No reason for the revocation of the OPS was mentioned in Megawide’s news release.

Last month, Megawide said the National Economic and Development Authority-Investment Coordination Committee had asked for the full submission of the requirements from the consortium “to demonstrate capabilities to deliver a first-world NAIA.”

Megawide said it submitted on Nov. 20 additional documents to prove its financial capability to undertake the project. — Arjay L. Balinbin