
THE DUTERTE family on Sunday said that six former Cabinet members of ex-President Rodrigo R. Duterte will be in attendance for his confirmation hearing on Feb. 23, on Monday by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
In a statement, the Office of the Vice-President said former Executive Secretary Salvador C. Medialdea, ex-Chief Legal Counsel Salvador S. Panelo, ex-Labor chief Silvestre H. Bello III, former LTFRB head Martin B. Delgra III, former Internal Revenues chief Caesar R. Dulay, and ex-PAGCOR President Alfredo Cereza Lim will act as Mr. Duterte’s Filipino legal team.
It said that the lawyers will attend the Confirmation of Charges hearing in order to ensure that he is properly represented by a Filipino legal team.
“We thank the legal team for their continued dedication and professionalism during this critical time,” it added.
The Duterte family also said that the ICC has not approved any in-person family visits during Mr. Duterte’s hearing, but telephone calls will continue to be made available.
The former chief executive is expected to face the international tribunal’s Pre-Trial Chamber I as judges determine whether there is enough evidence to try Mr. Duterte for crimes against humanity stemming from his administration’s bloody anti-drug campaign. The hearing is set for four days from Feb. 23-27.
Mr. Duterte was arrested last year by the International Criminal Police Organization after the ICC issued a warrant against him. He was flown to The Hague in the Netherlands hours later to face charges for his Drug War. — Adrian H. Halili


