ABOUT 4,500 protestors gathered near the People Power Monument along EDSA, calling for corrupt officials linked to the flood control scam to be held accountable. — PHILIPPINE STAR/MIGUEL DE GUZMAN

By Kenneth Christiane L. Basilio, Reporter
and Erika Mae P. Sinaking

THOUSANDS of Filipinos marched through the streets of the Philippine capital on Sunday to denounce corruption in the government, intensifying public pressure on authorities to act and hold officials linked to anomalous flood control projects accountable.

About 3,000 people joined an anti-corruption protest at Luneta Park in Manila, led by left-wing groups bluntly calling for the resignations of officials linked to the multibillion-peso scandal, the city’s Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office said in a Facebook post. While 4,500 protestors gathered at a separate rally at the EDSA People Power Monument, according to Quezon City’s police.

The government should also begin arresting top officials linked to the graft scandal, Rafaela David, president of the Akbayan Party that organized the EDSA rally, said on the sidelines of the protest.  “We should jail big fishes, not only anchovies,” she said.

“All of the fish must be caught, all of the fish must be answered, and there must be a big fish that should be caught before Christmas.”

The Nov. 30 protests coincide with the birth anniversary of Philippine hero Andres Bonifacio, a key figure in the country’s revolt against Spain in the 1890s. Hundreds, if not thousands, march the streets of the capital each year on that day, with activists using the commemoration to amplify their calls.

Ms. David said Sunday’s protest also called for an end to political dynasties, which have enabled corruption in the government.

“We see that those who rule the country are political dynasties, and they abuse the power given to them,” she said. “For Bonifacio’s sake, we want to ensure that it’s the people ruling and not just a few families.”

“Our call today is to end corruption by ending political dynasties,” she added.

President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. earlier said the government has spent P545 billion in flood control structures since he took office in 2022, with about P100 billion worth of projects cornered by only 15 contracts, some owned by political families. Investigations have also revealed hundreds of projects were substandard, poorly documented, or nonexistent.

He had sought to quell public anger over the scandal by announcing the arrests of officials accused in anomalous flood control infrastructure deals, an issue that has struck a nerve among many Filipinos.

“We are calling on Mr. Marcos, that if he’s serious in his anti-corruption campaign, that he should certify the anti-dynasty bill as an urgent measure,” Ms. David said.

The controversy has also prompted the influential Catholic Church to join the rallies against the controversy, seen to offer the “moral authority” the public won’t find among the country’s leaders.

“The church is a moral authority, and it’s providing what we’re sorely lacking in now,” Francis “Kiko” A. Dee, spokesman of anti-corruption group Trillion Peso March Movement, told reporters. “We can’t look to the President, we can’t look to the Vice-President, we can’t look to Congress for that moral authority.”

“What the church is offering is a contrast –— they have no other interest except to demand accountability from officials,” he said.

LUNETA RALLY
Protesters at the Luneta Park started with an early-morning confrontation after the Philippine National Police (PNP) stopped organizers from erecting their stage.

David Michael San Juan, De La Salle University professor and convenor of the Taumbayan Ayaw sa Magnanakaw at Abusado Network Alliance (TAMA NA), said the police action contradicted what had been smoother coordination with Manila authorities and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) compared to the group’s previous rally in September.

“We were not allowed to set up our stage, sound system, and other equipment, which delayed everything,” he told BusinessWorld on the sidelines of the “Baha sa Luneta 2.0” program.

Mr. San Juan said that during prior coordination, Manila City officials had assured organizers that the same level of assistance given to the Iglesia ni Cristo rally and the Sept. 21 assembly would also be extended to the current event.

Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) estimated that up to 20,000 people had joined throughout the day.

Teodoro “Teddy” A. Casiño, Bayan chairperson, assured they were back on track despite the setback, which affected the schedule and that the sound system and other technical equipment had been weak. “What the police did was really sabotage,” he said.

Mr. Casiño said the Nov. 30 rally builds on public calls for accountability during the Sept. 21 protest.

“But this time, the name of President Bongbong Marcos came up. People are now calling for resignation of Bongbong Marcos and Vice-President Sara Duterte,” he said.

“They demanded more from the ICI (Independent Commission for Infrastructure) and congressional investigations. More people were convinced that drastic measures were necessary to stop corruption.” The program concluded with a march from Rizal Park to Mendiola.

NOT BOWING DOWN
Calls for Mr. Marcos’s resignation intensified after resigned lawmaker Elizaldy S. Co, who headed the House Appropriations Committee, accused the President of benefiting from anomalous flood deals.

The Palace, however, maintained the President will not bow to mounting calls for his resignation as protests over a multibillion-peso flood control scandal drew large crowds in the capital on Sunday.

Acting Communications Secretary Dave M. Gomez said the government is closely monitoring demonstrations sparked by allegations that high-ranking officials and government contractors stole public funds intended for flood mitigation projects.

“We respect the people’s right to peaceably assemble,” he told a broadcast interview in mixed English and Filipino. “We hear their anger, and we feel their frustration.”

Mr. Marcos, whose name has been dragged in the controversy, “will not be distracted” by ultimatums from groups demanding his ouster, Mr. Gomez said.

The President “blew the whistle” on the anomalies in his State of the Nation Address last July, he added, saying Mr. Marcos intends to “finish the job” and see the investigations through.

Public outrage has escalated as new allegations surfaced, fueling worries of political instability. Mr. Gomez acknowledged the rising discontent, but urged patience, citing the need for due process.

He noted that only three months have passed since the scandal was exposed, compared with the year-long investigation into the previous pork-barrel scheme.

He said several suspects have already been charged or arrested, and more — including “big fish” — may face action before Christmas.

Mr. Gomez also dismissed corruption accusations from former House Appropriations Chairman Elizaldy S. Co, who has been releasing videos from overseas.

The administration will not “dignify” claims from a “fugitive from justice,” he said, adding that Mr. Marcos will only respond once Mr. Co returns to the Philippines and testifies under oath.

Mr. Gomez reiterated that the chief executive ordered investigators to proceed without exemptions.

Vice-President Sara Duterte-Carpio, who is also facing corruption allegations, is constitutionally guaranteed to succeed the presidency should Mr. Marcos step down. Ms. Duterte is accused of fund misuse, unexplained wealth, destabilization efforts, and plotting to assassinate President Marcos, his wife and Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez. She has denied wrongdoing.

In a separate statement, the Association of General and Flag Officers (AGFO), a group of retired top generals, said they heard “political noise” urging the military to withdraw support from Mr. Marcos, but stressed it was opting not to meddle in politics.

“We strongly condemn and reject any call for the Armed Forces of the Philippines to engage in unconstitutional acts or military adventurism,” AGFO said.

A coup attempt by a retired military official earlier fizzled out after failing to secure the support of the armed forces, Philippines’ Armed Forces Chief General Romeo Brawner said in October.

The Philippines is no stranger to coup attempts, having seen more than a dozen military mutinies since the restoration of democracy in 1986, after the late former President Ferdinand E. Marcos, Sr. was overthrown by a popular street uprising.

Each succeeding President has seen the threat of a coup by disgruntled troops, with the younger Marcos’ predecessor ex-President Rodrigo R. Duterte facing alleged plots to unseat him during his 2016-2022 presidency. with Chloe Mari A. Hufana