By Michael Angelo S. Murillo
INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation world super flyweight champion Jerwin “Pretty Boy” Ancajas pushes through with a previously shelved title defense fight this weekend in Mexico but against a different opponent.
Set to fight on Nov. 3 (Manila time) in Carson, California, Mr. Ancajas saw himself sans an opponent after supposed challenger Jonathan Rodriguez of Mexico failed to make it as he was unable to get a visa.
Mr. Ancajas (31-1-2, 21 KO) admitted that initially he felt disappointed over the last-minute cancellation of what was supposed to be his eighth defense of the title he won back in 2016.
But eventually he accepted it, believing “there is still something bigger planned for me.”
On Sunday in Puebla, Mexico, Mr. Ancajas gets to complete an unfinished business of defending his 115-pound belt anew, but this time taking on Chilean challenger Miguel Gonzalez (31-2, 8 KO).
It will be part of the fight card that will also have World Boxing Organization junior featherweight champion Emanuel Navarrete taking on challenger Francisco Horta.
In the lead-up to the Gonzalez fight, Davao native Ancajas said he would stay ready and not stop training in the United States after his fight was cancelled.
“At first I was really disappointed [of the cancellation]. But I just thought that maybe God has bigger plans for me. So I’ll just continue training here in the United States, focus on what I need to do, step up training some more,” said Mr. Ancajas in an earlier online interview.
This week he rolled into Mexico and shared that he is excited to face Mr. Gonzalez and that he is expecting a tough fight from the challenger.
Mr. Ancajas won the IBF world super flyweight title in September 2016, defeating McJoe Arroyo of Puerto Rico by unanimous decision here in Manila.
He has successfully defended his title seven times previously, the last time against Japanese Ryuichi Funai in May this year by knockout in California.
Mr. Gonzalez, for his part, is riding back-to-back victories.