Advertisement

PBA adjusts calendar over nCoV threat

Font Size

PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial -- ALVIN S. GO

By Michael Angelo S. Murillo
Senior Reporter

THE Philippine Basketball Association moved the start of its season-opening Philippine Cup a week later than originally scheduled over the threat of the novel Coronavirus (nCoV) acute respiratory disease outbreak.

In an announcement released on Monday, the PBA said it was heeding the advice of local health officials on the nCoV concern and decided to move opening day to March 8 from March 1 as set previously.

“It’s a preventive measure against nCoV. It’s now in place and will be implemented. The safety of our fans, teams, players and officials remain to be our utmost priority,” said PBA commissioner Willie Marcial in announcing the calendar adjustment.

Also moved was the opening of the PBA D-League, which is now to kick off on March 2 from Feb. 13.

As the threat of nCoV is still high, Department of Health officials are discouraging people from going to large gatherings like sporting events to prevent the further spread of the disease.




The highly communicable respiratory disease continues to be a major concern, affecting many countries, including the Philippines.









Advertisement