HISTORICAL epic Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral by Jerrold Tarog won Best Motion Picture along with several technical awards at the Luna Awards, held on Nov. 30 at the Maybank Performing Arts Theater in Bonifacio Global City, Taguig.
The film about the life and death of young General Gregorio del Pilar also won Best Sound for Albert Michael Idioma and Alex Tomboc and Best Musical Score for Mr. Tarog.
Another of the night’s big winners was Chito S. Roño who won Best Director for Signal Rock, a film about a man living in a remote island who takes care of his family while his sister works overseas. Signal Rock’s Daria Ramirez won Best Supporting Actress.
The top acting awards were handed to Glaiza de Castro for her work in Kip Oebanda’s Liway, a film about a mother and her child who were incarcerated during Martial Law, and Daniel Padilla for his work in Cathy Garcia-Molina’s The Hows of Us, a film about a couple who struggle to maintain a long-term relationship even as they dream of growing old together.
Liway also won Best Screenplay for Zig Dulay and Kip Oebanda and Best Editing for Chuck Guttierez.
The Luna Awards are given annually by the Film Academy of the Philippines (FAP) to recognize outstanding achievements in the Filipino film industry. The first awards were presented in 1983 in Pasay. This year, the awards is co-presented by the Film Development Council of the Philippines.
Below is the complete list of winners:
• Best Motion Picture: Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral
• Best Director: Chito Rono, Signal Rock
• Best Actor: Daniel Padilla, The Hows of Us
• Best Actress: Glaiza de Castro, Liway
• Best Supporting Actor: Arjo Atayde, Buy Bust
• Best Supporting Actress: Daria Ramirez, Signal Rock
• Best Screenplay: Zig Dulay and Kip Oebanda, Liway
• Best Sound: Albert Michael Idioma and Alex Tomboc, Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral
• Best Production Design: Maolen Fadul, Gusto Kita with All My Hypothalamus
• Best Cinematography: Neil Daza, Gusto Kita with All My Hypothalamus
• Best Musical Score: Jerrold Tarog, Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral
• Best Editing: Chuck Guttierez, Liway
• Fernando Poe, Jr. (FPJ) Lifetime Achievement Award: Lily Monteverde
• Manuel de Leon Award for Exemplary Achievements: Nova Villa
• The Lamberto Avellana Memorial Award: directors Wenn Deramas and Soxie Topacio — Zsarlene B. Chua