NEW Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director General Nicanor E. Faeldon took his oath Thursday before Justice Secretary Menardo I. Guevarra and will formally assume his post next week.
“He will make a number of announcements about what he plans to do with the Bureau of Corrections in due time after the formal turnover of responsibilities which would probably happen by early next week,” Department of Justice (DoJ) spokesperson Markk L. Perete told reporters after the BuCor’s chief oathtaking. He added that Mr. Faeldon will also inspect the New Bilibid Prison.
Mr. Guevarra disclosed Mr. Faeldon’s appointment on Oct. 12 and President Rodrigo R. Duterte signed his appointment papers on Nov. 20.
Mr. Perete also said the justice secretary has briefed Mr. Faeldon about the management of BuCor.
Mr. Guevarra also discussed with Mr. Faeldon the possibility of transferring the facility of BuCor, citing congestion and security concerns.
“(F)rom what I understand, maximum facility would not be transferred but the others may be transferred to a different location,” Mr. Perete said.
Mr. Perete said the New Bilibid Prison has a holding capacity of 10,072 inmates but currently holds 27,071 prisoners or 170% more than the capacity. Nationwide, the overcapacity of BuCor facilities is at 30%.
Mr. Faeldon resigned as Bureau of Customs chief last August 2017 following the controversy over the P6.4 billion-worth of illegal drugs that entered the country in May 2017.
He was then appointed in December last year as deputy administrator III of the Office of Civil Defense. Vann Marlo M. Villegas