By Denise A. Valdez, Reporter
GRAB Philippines (MyTaxi.PH, Inc.) said Monday it may have to deactivate “at least” 8,000 vehicle providers from its platform next week, as they failed to comply with regulations set by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).
In a statement, the ride-hailing firm said it is ready to remove at least 8,000 transport network vehicle services (TNVS) provider by June 10, as they have yet to show the LTFRB proof of provisional authority to operate.
“This will reduce the number of vehicles servicing our commuting public, thus inconveniencing many Filipinos,” Grab Philippines President Brian P. Cu said in the statement, noting the removal of drivers will “worsen the current lack of drivers.”
Grab noted the 8,000 drivers it expects to be pulled out of its pool equates to at least 100,000 rides per day.
To recall, the LTFRB opened 20,000 slots for TNVS on Dec. 17 last year, with a June 7 deadline to complete application requirements.
The regulator also said in a May 31 advisory that it will open another 10,000 slots for TNVS units on June 10, as a means to address the 8,000 providers it anticipates to deactivate.
“We hope that this inconvenience will be temporary, as we anticipate new drivers — even those from the 8,000 — to take advantage of the 10,000 new slots for application starting June 10,” Mr. Cu said.
Grab currently has a pool of 45,000 active drivers on its platform, and a “very low 60s” fulfillment rate-or the rate of booking requests that it is able to attend to.