TELECOMMUNICATIONS service provider DITO Telecommunity Corp. said on Tuesday it has connected two million subscribers in less than five months since its commercial launch in March.

“[I]n less than five months after our official launch, we have just reached two million subscribers, covering around 200 cities nationwide,” DITO said in a statement posted on its official Facebook page.

DITO started offering its mobile services in the National Capital Region in May.

In March, DITO Chief Administrative Officer Adel A. Tamano said the implementation of the mobile number portability law would help the company achieve its target of capturing 30% of the telco market.

The commercial launch of the mobile number portability is on Sept. 30.

Telecommunications Connectivity, Inc., the company put up by the country’s dominant mobile network operators to facilitate mobile number portability, expects “a million” subscribers to switch network providers during the initial phase of the implementation.

DITO is currently capable of serving 37.48% of the country’s population based on the technical audit report by R.G. Manabat & Co.

The company’s chief technology officer, Rodolfo D. Santiago, has said 30% of the telco market is “more than enough” for DITO to be profitable.

DITO has a commitment to cover 84% of the population by the end of its fifth year of commercial operations.

The company has committed to invest over P250 billion to improve customer experience in the country.

DITO spent P150 billion last year, and it targets to spend P26 billion more this year. — Arjay L. Balinbin