Advertisement

COVID-19 regional updates: Lingayen disinfects schools, assisting in contact tracing for Covid-19+ visitor from Australia

Font Size

WITH CLASSES suspended on Monday in Lingayen, the capital town of Pangasinan, schools were sanitized as authorities continue tracing those who came into contact with a homecoming Filipino who tested positive for the coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) upon returning to Australia. “With reference to the recent news of a kababayan from Australia who attended a wedding in Manila, a high school reunion and other activities in Pangasinan in mid-Feb and reported positive of COVID-19 on her return to Australia last March 2, coordination is being done with appropriate agencies for proper contact tracing,” Mayor Leopoldo N. Bataoil said in a statement. He also assured residents that the local government “has been continuously conducting measures” since the virus was first reported earlier this year. “In the market, municipal hall and other gatherings, we instituted thermal monitoring, hand cleansing and use of face masks, among others,” he said. Meanwhile, Pangasinan Governor Amado I. Espino III said they have already asked for police assistance to speed up the contact tracing. “Kasi nga madami (Because there are a lot),” he told the media on Monday, live-streamed on the province’s social media page. “We’re taking all precautionary measures to test everyone,” he said. Mr. Espino also clarified that the Filipino migrant, who arrived in the Philippines on Feb 22, may not have acquired the virus in the country as the arrival date is less than 14 days from the positive test result on March 3. The Pangasinan provincial board issued a resolution last Feb. 10 directing all local government units to suspend all public gatherings. Mr. Espino also ordered a ban on all province-organized activities and the use of public social facilities.





Advertisement