Advertisement

Court denies Palparan’s motion against transfer to Bilibid

Font Size

RETIRED ARMY Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan — PHILSTAR/MICHAEL VARCAS

MALOLOS CITY Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 15 denied a motion by retired general and convicted kidnapper Jovito S. Palparan, Jr. against his transfer to the New Bilibid Prison, Justice Secretary Menardo I. Guevarra said.

Mr. Guevarra told reporters in a text message the Malolos RTC cited the Office of the Court Administrator Circular No. 163-2013 which “directs all trial court judges to cause the immediate transfer of convicted persons to the NBP, regardless of the pendency of a motion for reconsideration or an appeal.”

He also said that the Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. assured that the AFP will comply with the order.

“I have personally discussed the matter with AFP Chief Galvez, who has assured me that the AFP custodial center will immediately comply, without prejudice to the resolution of any further judicial review,” Mr. Guevarra said in his text message.

Mr. Palparan, along with Lt. Col. Felipe G. Anotado, Jr. and S/Sgt. Edgardo Osorio, was indicted by Malolos City RTC Branch 15 on Sept. 17 for kidnapping and serious illegal detention of two students from the University of the Philippines, Karen Empeño and Sherlyn Cadapan, in 2006.

Judge Alexander P. Tamayo of Branch 15 ordered the penalty of reclusion perpetua or 20 to 40 years of imprisonment against the accused.




The convicts were also ordered to pay P100,000 to the heirs of the abducted students as civil indemnity and P200,000 for each as moral damages.

On the same day, Mr. Tamayo also issued a commitment order to the Bureau of Corrections for the detention of Mr. Palparan and the two other officials.

A warrant of arrest was issued against Mr. Palparan in 2011 but he was arrested only in 2014. Since then, he has been detained at Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City. — Vann Marlo M. Villegas