Nation


‘K-trash’ send-off stalled




Posted on February 13, 2017


M/V Christina, the vessel carrying 5,000 tons of wastes from South Korea that were supposed to be dumped in Cebu, failed to leave Saturday as ordered by the Bureau of Customs. Verne Enciso, chief of Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service, said this was because there was no available berthing area at the Cebu Port Authority (CPA) at the moment. CPA General Manager Angelo C. Verdan said berthing window is expected to be available by Monday morning. The delay does not sit well with some officials, including Mandaue City Mayor Luigi R. Quisumbing who is said to be “getting impatient and frustrated,” according to the mayor’s chief-of-staff, lawyer Elaine Bathan. Mr. Quisumbing had earlier warned of suing “everybody involved in this mess.” -- The Freeman