Nation


Chinese top foreign nationals barred from entering PHL




Posted on July 27, 2017


CHINESE TOURISTS topped the list of the more than 2,700 foreigners who were barred from entering the country in the first half of 2017, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) disclosed on Wednesday.

Of the total, 2,421 were intercepted at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) while 296 at other airports across the country.

According to NAIA-BI data, 1,594 Chinese nationals were barred from entry at the country’s main gateway.

Other nationalities that comprise BI’s list of thwarted entry at the NAIA are: 127 Indians, 117 Koreans, 106 Americans, 101 Vietnamese, and 43 Indonesians.

Immigration Commissioner Jaime H. Morente said the January-June 2017 total is 39% higher than the same period last year.

Mr. Morente said bulk of those barred were “considered public charges, or aliens who would depend on government for subsistence and become social burdens due to lack of financial capacity to support their stay in the country.”

BI Port Division Chief Marc Red A. Mariñas, for his part, said a foreign national may also be refused entry if, based on the immigration officer’s assessment, his presence in the country is “inimical to the national interest or a threat to public health and safety.”

“That is why among those we have turned away are registered and convicted sex offenders, fugitives from justice, suspected terrorists, previously deported aliens, and those who are in our blacklist of undesirable aliens,” Mr. Mariñas explained.

Also part of the blacklist, Mr. Mariñas added, are those who are not in possession of entry visa and are not properly documented to enter the country. -- Kristine Joy V. Patag