Nation


Other Stories




Posted on May 26, 2012


SC ask to review case filed vs mayor

A mayor in Nueva Ecija asked the Supreme Court (SC) to review the graft case filed against him by the Office of the Ombudsman.

Talugtug Mayor Quintino S. Caspillo requested for certiorari in the high court for his criminal case in the filed in Sandiganbayan after the Ombudsman found him guilty of violating Section 3 of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.

The official also asked for a temporary restraining order to defer any proceedings of the case.

The case stemmed from a a complaint was filed in 2010 by Leonides B. Esperon, a former head municipal engineer, stating that the mayor demoted him to draftsman and placed the husband of the niece of the mayor’s wife, Wilson M. Nimenzo, as the officer-in-charge, without any notice.


Four Misamis Oriental boxers selected for national training pool

CAGAYAN DE ORO -- Four of Misamis Oriental’s seven gold medal winners during the recently concluded 2012 National Amateur Boxing Championship have been selected to join the national amateur boxing training pool.

Eduardo A. Ayunting, deputy regional director of the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP) for Northern Mindanao said he received a letter from Edgar E. Picson, ABAP executive director, who identified the four local boxers as Rey March Casas, 18 (boys light flyweight division); Julito Sumalinog, 16 (jr. boy’s flyweight); Jeanvee Flores, 18 (girl’s bantamweight); and Margie Waga, 17 (girl’s flyweight).

Mr. Ayunting said the province is now securing the permission of the boxers’ parents for them to go to the ABAP Training Center at the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, Manila where they can start practicing with the national pool and hopefully make it as a national boxer some day.

Mr. Picson, in his letter, said the Philippine Sports Commission and the ABAP will handle all the four boxers’ travel expenses to Manila, daily stipends, and education should their parents permit them to join the national pool.

The province’s long running amateur boxing program spawned the best team at the recently concluded boxing championship in Tagbilaran City, bagging seven gold medals. The Misamis Oriental team had the most number of medals, taking five silvers and eight bronzes. -- Michael D. Baños


Bacolod police to launch campaign against male prostitutes in wake of murders

BACOLOD CITY -- After a series of murders of gay men in Bacolod, led Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, city police director, said he is planning to meet with members of the gay rights group Ang Ladlad to discuss preventive measures. He also disclosed a plan to launch an intensified campaign against male prostitutes.

In his report to the City Peace and Order Council at the Bacolod Government Center Wednesday, Mr. De la Paz said five homosexuals were killed in Bacolod in less than 10 months.

Mr. De la Paz, however, dismissed claims that Bacolod has become a killing field for gays.

“Each case was isolated, so these are not hate crimes as the killings were not successive and the suspects and their motives were not the same,” he said.

The latest case involved Eddie Bolatayo, 21, an alleged pimp whose body was recovered at the Bacolod reclamation area. One of the suspects, Erwin Alberio of Estancia Iloilo, was arrested and has been charged.

Days earlier, Dr. Andres Gumban was killed in his house in Brgy. Alijis, Bacolod City. Two teenaged suspects -- Fof Pascual, 18, of Sagay City, and his 16-year-old companion from Cadiz City -- have been charged.

In October last year, Rommel Decena, 46, of Barangay Handumanan, Bacolod City, was killed, allegedly by John Eric Trinio, 29, who was arrested and charged in court.

Two weeks earlier, call center agent Ian Sherwin Sandoval of Victorias City, Negros Occidental, was found dead in his room at a pension house with at least 17 stab wounds. The two suspects, believed to be call boys, remain unidentified.

Also in June last year, the body of Giovani Preta, 49, of Barangay Sum-ag, was recovered from the Magsungay river with at least 30 stab wounds, and suspect Jee Arr Mendoza was arrested and charged in court. -- Nanette Guadalquiver


Negrense woman charged for deaths of two daughters

BACOLOD CITY -- Two counts of parricide cases were filed by the police on Thursday against a 24-year-old mother who admitted killing her two daughters Monday afternoon in Barangay Calapi, Hinigaran, Negros Occidental.

The suspect, Mira Lacson, a single parent with a speech disorder, admitted to police investigators that she drowned her children, aged one and three, in a canal.

The girls’ bodies were found in a sugarcane field hours later.

Lacson was charged by the Hinigaran police before the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office in Bacolod City.

Senior Police Officer 1 Ma. Victorina Oychocde, chief of the town police Women and Children Concern Desk, said in an interview autopsy results show the two children died of suffocation.

Investigation showed that Lacson has often been scolded by her mother for neglecting her daughters, who reportedly had different fathers. Lacson claimed she “decided to end things” to put a stop to speculations that she might get pregnant again.

Her father, Francisco, said that afternoon, his daughter had wanted to go out but her children were crying because they wanted to go with her. She then brought them along, and when she came back, she told her father she left her daughters at the sugarcane field.

Francisco said he was then worried and sought help from the village watchmen, and they eventually found the bodies of his grandchildren inside a sugarcane field covered with banana leaves.

He said it is possible that the children suffocated because their bodies didn’t have signs of injuries, adding that his daughter might have been under the influence of an illegal drug, possibly marijuana, when she killed her daughters. -- NLG


Prosecutors to charge 3 police with businesswoman’s murder

State prosecutors recommended on Thursday that criminal charges be filed against three policemen and two others for allegedly killing a Filipino-Chinese businesswoman earlier this year.

In a resolution dated May 24, Assistant State Prosecutor Arlie Alilam Ramos and Prosecution Attorney Xerxes U. Garcia recommended that former policeman Reginel Regidor C. Santiago, Police Superintendent Rommel S. Miranda, Police Officer 1 Otelio B. Santos, Jr., PO1 Jifford G. Signap and Elmer D. Paiste be charge for allegedly conspiring to murder Lea Angeles-Ng.

Ms. Ng disappeared on Jan. 23 and was found dead a month later at a septic tank inside an abandoned warehouse in San Pedro, Laguna.

The prosecutors based their recommendation on the statement of the victim’s husband Tommy Ng who said that prior to Ms. Ng’s disappearance, she told him that she had argued with Mr. Miranda and that the latter would be to blame should anything happen to her.

The recommendation was also based on an affidavit of Ms. Ng’s assistant, Cecilia Sanchez, who said that she had been instructed by the victim last year to collect P13 million in obligations from Mr. Miranda. The police officer, however, refused to pay the amount and insisted he did not owe Ms. Ng a debt.

Aside from affidavits, the prosecutors also took into consideration the closed-circuit television footage of a supermarket’s parking lot, where the victim’s vehicle was found abandoned on Jan. 24.

Despite Mr. Ng’s claim that an unknown caller demanded P10 million in ransom from Feb. 20 to 22, the prosecutors dismissed charges for kidnap for ransom since the fact that there was a demand for ransom was not enough to support the kidnapping charges against the suspects. Aside from that, the prosecutors said the evidence shows that the victim was already dead when the ransom was demanded.