Nation


Commission to review bid process for ’13 polls




Posted on August 29, 2012


THE COMMISSION on Elections (Comelec) will review its bidding process, an official said yesterday, following the failure to auction off two projects for next year’s midterm polls.

PRECINCT COUNT optical scan machine -- JONATHAN L. CELLONA
"The SBAC (Special Bids and Awards Committee) will review the event this morning, and re-evaluate the bidding process following the failures," Maria Victoria S. Dulcero, head of secretariat of the Comelec’s SBAC, said in a phone interview yesterday.

The statement came on the heels of the Comelec’s failed bidding of electronic transmission services using public telecommunications network for next year’s polls, after the lone bidder, Blue Media Communications, failed to submit all documentary requirements.

"We declared as ineligible the sole bidder for failing to submit all documents," Ms. Dulcero said, adding that the full commission will have to authorize a second bidding. The electronic transmission project is worth ₱405,423,200.

Three groups, meanwhile, have so far expressed interest to bid for the contract to store over 80,000 poll counting machines.

"We already have three prospective bidders," Ms. Dulcero said.

These are SSI Asia, Smartmatic-Total Information Management (TIM) Corp., and the joint venture of RV Marzan International Forwarders, Inc.-Bodega Site IT Solutions, Inc. Smartmatic-TIM supplied the precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines used during the 2010 general elections.

Interested firms have until 9 a.m. today to buy and submit bid documents, Ms. Dulcero said. Up for grabs is the ₱405.55-million contract for the 40-month "lease of warehouse with configuration" for the PCOS units.

A failed rebidding will allow the Comelec to enter into a negotiated deal under Republic Act 9184 or the Government Procurement Reform Act. "That is an option provided for by law," Ms. Dulcero said. -- Antonio Siegfrid O. Alegado