Nation


Comelec told to comment on contempt vs Abalos




Posted on January 21, 2012


A PASAY trial court has started hearing the former Comelec chairman Benjamin S. Abalos, Jr.’s request to reconsider the contempt order issued by the same court last month against him and his counsel over allegations of attempted extortion involving the court’s presiding judge.

Judge Jesus B. Mupas of the Pasay City Regional Trial Court Branch 112 issued last Dec. 22 an order holding in contempt Mr. Abalos and counsel Brigido S. Dulay after they asked him to inhibit for allegedly sending two emissaries who offered to fix Mr. Abalos’ pending electoral sabotage case in exchange of P100 million.

The emissaries were later identified as lawyers May C. Mercado and Felix B. Desiderio, Jr.

Mr. Abalos filed the motion for reconsideration last week, the court’s stenographer Cris M. Dumalaog said in a phone interview yesterday.

"The court has given the Comelec (Commission on Elections) to file their comment until Wednesday, while Mr. Abalos was given until Friday [next week]," she said.

The camp of Mr. Abalos, meanwhile, called on the judge to divert his ire from the former Comelec chief.

"We hope Judge Mupas will vent his anger at the purported emissaries instead of chairman Abalos who only exposed this nefarious activity," Mr. Dulay said in a text message.

Mr. Dulay has appealed the contempt judgement earlier this month and already secured from the Court of Appeals on Jan.10 a 60-day TRO on the contempt order against him.