Arts & Leisure


Dati’ bags Philpop top prize




Posted on July 23, 2013


THE TANDEM of a radio DJ and a post-production artist bested 11 other finalists -- including professional composers and perennial songwriting competition winners -- to emerge as the champions in the second Philippine Popular (Philpop) Music Festival on Saturday night.

Yumi Lacsamana and Timothy Anjello "Thyro" Alfaro won the P1-million grand prize and a Ramon Orlina glass trophy for their catchy ’90s-inspired song "Dati."

Pop singers Sam Concepcion and Tippy Dos Santos, as well as hip-hop vocalist Quest, collaborated to perform the song during the finals night held at the Meralco Theater in Ortigas, Pasig City.

Ms. Lacsamana has been singing since she was a child and started singing professionally at 19 when she joined the band JOINT, a sought-after band in the bar scene at that time.

Mr. Alfaro grew up in a musical environment -- both his parents were members of Bagong Himig, the award-winning choral group from the Polytechnic University of the Philippines. He started singing professionally at 16 in the late evening TV show called Super Barkadahan Exclusive (SBX) on Studio 23, before joining the rap group 5th Wave Theory, and the acoustic band Soul Major.

Mr. Alfaro composed "Himig ng Panahon" which was a finalist to last year’s Philpop.

Meanwhile, YouTube balladeer Johnoy Danao won second place for his "modernized kundiman" composition "vKung ’Di Man" (performed at the finals by former 6Cyclemind vocalist Ney Dimaculangan), while perennial songwriting competition winner Jungee Marcelo bagged third place for "Pansamantagal" (performed by bossa nova diva Sitti and acoustic vocalist Julianne Tarroja).

The two runners-up received P500,000 and P250,000, respectively, as well as glass trophies created by Mr. Orlina.

Mr. Danao also won the P100,000 People’s Choice Award after receiving the most number of text votes in a poll conducted among the subscribers of wireless services provider Smart Communications.

Paul Armesin’s "Segundo" (performed by Sponge Cola band vocalist Yael Yuzon) received P100,000 after being selected for a special award by the Manila Electric Co. for the song’s "uplifting and positive" message.

The other finalists in this year’s Philpop were: "Araw, Ulap, Langit" by College of St. Benilde teacher Marlon Barnuevo; "Space" by boy band member Raffy Calicdan; "Askal" by popular Cotabato singer Gani Brown; "Sana Pinatay Mo Na Lang Ako" by De La Salle Dasmariñas student Myrus Apacible; "Sometimes That Happens" by wife and mother Adrienne Sarmiento-Buenaventura; "Sa’yo Na Lang Ako" by UP College of Music student Lara Maigue; "Papel" by veteran singer-songwriter Joey Ayala; and "Time Machine" by new composer John Kennard Eleazar Faraon.

The non-winning finalists received P50,000 each as a consolation prize. All the finalists received stipends to produce their songs in broadcast quality.

The winners were selected by a panel of judges that included singer Regine Velasquez, Filipino Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers President Noel Cabangon, and TV personality Iya Villania, among others.

Hosted by Ogie Alcasid and Jasmine Curtis-Smith, the finals night -- which aired on TV5 -- featured performances by guest artists like Ms. Velasquez, Martin Nievera, Charice, The Ryan Cayabyab Singers and The CompanY.

The 12 finalists were selected from more than 3,000 entries by a committee "coming from diverse backgrounds from the music industry" and were rated according to their artistry and creativity with both music and lyrics bearing equal weight.

The finalists were judged twice. The preliminary judging, which accounted for 60% of the total score, was done a day before the finals night. The remaining 40% of the score was determined during the final competition night where the judges rated the songs based on the performances.

All 12 songs are included in the Second Philippine Popular Music Festival commemorative album, released under Universal Records. The songs are already available for download on iTunes.

Philpop is a songwriting competition open to all amateur and professional composers who are Filipinos or of Filipino descent residing in the Philippines.

Behind this endeavor is the Philpop Musicfest FounDation, Inc. a group headed by business tycoon Manuel V. Pangilinan of Metro Pacific Investments Corp. and Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT).

Hastings Holdings Inc., a unit of PLDT Beneficial Trust Fund subsidiary MediaQuest Holdings, Inc., has a minority stake in BusinessWorld. -- Jeffrey O. Valisno