THE BORACAY Inter-Agency Task Force (BIATF) has carried out the demolition of Boracay Plaza Beach Resort’s structures found in violation of the 30-meter easement zone after its operator failed to heed orders for self-demolition.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the lead agency of the BIATF, said on Wednesday that the resort has not been given the required permits to operate.
The resort, owned by a certain Anita Aguirre, has structures built on approximately 1,000 square meters of land within the easement zone, according to the DENR.
“Erring establishments had already been given more than enough time to shape up since the closure,” DENR Secretary Roy A. Cimatu said in a statement.
“It would be unfair to those who voluntarily demolished and complied with the easement rule if we will not enforce the law to those who did not,” he added.
DENR said Boracay Plaza was issued orders to vacate and self-demolish its structure in April 2018, when the island was closed for rehabilitation.
On Feb. 28 this year, the BIATF gave a 15-day ultimatum to 10 establishments to self demolish their structures for being located within the easement zone, all of which complied except for Boracay Plaza, DENR said.
The other nine establishment are: Blue Lilly Hotel, Calveston International Inc, Exclusive Dawn VIP Boracay Resort, Little Prairie Inn, New Wave Divers, Steve’s Cliff/Boracay Terraces Resort, True Homes, Watercolors Dive Shop, and Willy’s Rock Resort.
Boracay was closed last year for a six-month rehabilitation after President Rodrigo R. Duterte called it a “cesspool” due to waste water from establishments going directly to the sea for lack of sewage treatment facilities. — Reicelene Joy N. Ignacio