POLICE confirmed that Daraga, Albay Mayor Carlwyn G. Baldo, the main suspect in the killing of Ako Bicol party-list Representative Rodel M. Batocabe and his security escort, surrendered on Friday morning to the authorities.
Criminal Investigation Division Group — Region 5 director Col. Arnold Ardiente told BusinessWorld that the mayor surrendered directly to the court at 8:30 a.m. and is now in the BJMP District Jail.
Accompanied by his family, Mr. Baldo voluntarily surrendered to Judge Ma. Therese San Juan-Loquillo of the Regional Trial Court 10 in Legazpi City, Albay.
Last month, the Department of Justice indicted Mr. Baldo and six others for the killing of Mr. Batocabe. The Daraga mayor is facing two counts of murder and six counts of attempted murder.
On Jan. 3, the Philippine National Police (PNP) tagged Mr. Baldo as the mastermind behind the assassination.
Christopher C. Naval, Mr. Baldo’s aide, surrendered to the police on Dec. 30 last year while Emmanuel Rosello was arrested on Jan. 3. The PNP said on Jan. 4 that the alleged main gunman, Henry Yuzon, surrendered to the authorities but was also arrested for a pending rape case. Jaywin Babor, the alleged driver of one of the getaway motorcycles, also surrendered to the authorities that day.
Mr. Batocabe, who had announced that he would run for mayor in the midterm elections, and his police escort SPO2 Orlando Diaz were killed during a gift-giving activity in Daraga on Dec. 22. — Vince Angelo C. Ferreras