Nation


Members of prominent families in Davao evade drug raid




Posted on December 21, 2015


DAVAO CITY -- Members of Davao City’s prominent families were able to escape a recent drug raid after they got wind of the operation, Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte said.

Some P3 million worth of shabu -- as seen in this photo -- were seized during the raid. -- interaksyon.com
“Members of prominent families in the city were included in the DCPO (Davao City Police Office) report and I instructed the police to get them first,” Mr. Duterte said.

Four to five of the suspected drug pushers are even residents of Doña Luisa Subdivision where he lives, prompting the mayor to warn parents to keep watch over their children to spare them from continued drug raids being conducted by the DCPO, the latest of which resulted in the death of two most suspected drug pushers and the arrest of 40 others.

However, most got wind of the planned drug raids and were able to evade the arrests, even though they were warned to leave the city beforehand.

“[A]ll illegal drug users have arms because they are suicidal and paranoid so when confronted by the police they will surely fight back,” he said.

Mr. Duterte said he could not understand why these children still use illegal drugs when they are being sent by their parents to good schools to get a good education. However, he said, he could not spare the suspects from the city’s campaign against illegal drugs even if he knows that it would create a dent in his relationship with their parents who are his neighbors.

“Warn your children against illegal drugs but if they will ignore your warnings then we cannot do anything about that. We will always go for the greatest good, for the greatest number in that case,” he said.

Authorities conducted the Oplan “One Time, Big-time” simultaneous drug raids in the city on Thursday (Dec. 17) and seized P3 million worth of suspected marijuana and methamphetamine hydrochloride, also known as shabu. The operation is in line with the Philippine National Police’s Lambat-Sibat campaign.

Two suspects were shot dead after they resisted arrest, DCPO spokesperson Chief Inspector Milgrace C. Driz said.

A total of 21 search warrants were served that day. Of the 40 suspects arrested, 19 were placed under custody by virtue of the said search warrants while 21 were arrested during the actual drug busts.

Authorities seized 338.5 grams of shabu with an estimated street value of P3 million and almost two kilos of marijuana with an estimated street value of P27,641.20, assorted firearms and ammunitions, and two motorcycles.

Two massive anti-illegal drug operations were conducted in July last year and one last month. The July operation led to the death of seven suspected drug pushers and the arrest of 39 others. -- Carmencita A. Carillo