Nation


Duterte vows to resign if son proven corrupt




Posted on August 10, 2017


PRESIDENT RODRIGO R. Duterte on Wednesday vowed to resign if one of his children, particularly his vice-mayor son, is found involved in a corruption scandal hounding the Bureau of Customs (BoC).

A BoC broker on Monday claimed that allegedly corrupt officials of the bureau invoked presidential son and Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Z. Duterte. But the broker admitted having no personal knowledge about the younger Duterte, only to often hearing his name mentioned as part of a so-called “Davao group.”

Speaking before businessmen and government officials in Manila, Mr. Duterte promised anew to give up the presidency if he, or any of his kids, gets involved in corruption.

“Corruption was really one I do not like,” Mr. Duterte said.

“I told you before and I’m telling you now again, kung sino sa mga anak ko (whoever among my children gets) involve(d in) corruption, I will immediately resign. That, you have my word. Wala na ako (I will be gone), I’m 72,” he added.

Responding to the issue, the Davao City vice mayor denied the allegations against him and qualified the BoC broker’s claims as “hearsay.”

Congressional hearings on allegations of corruption at the BoC, once cited by the President as one of the top three dirtiest government agencies, has come to the fore following the shipment of P6.4 billion worth of methamphetamine, locally known as shabu, from China that was able to pass through customs last May.

The vice mayor had earlier been linked by former Davao policeman Arthur Lascañas to a shipment of shabu, also from China.

The older Duterte easily won the race to Malacanang last year on a platform of wiping out corruption and narcotics. -- Ian Nicolas P. Cigaral