Economy


Fourteen firms interested in Laguna Lakeshore Expressway-Dike project




Posted on August 20, 2014


THE BIGGEST public-private partnership (PPP) project to date continues to receive support from the private sector, with 14 companies expressing interest to bid for the contract, according to an official.

A lone boatman traverses a portion of the Laguna Lake, Tanay Rizal in this photo taken last Sept. 26, 2010. -- BW File Photo
PPP Center Executive Director Cosette V. Canilao confirmed via text message yesterday that the following 14 groups have bought bid documents for the Laguna Lakeshore Expressway-Dike project for a non-refundable fee of P200,000:

- Muhibbah Engineering (M) Bhd;
- GT Capital Holdings, Inc.;
- Ayala Land, Inc.;
- Megaworld Corp.;
- Metro Pacific Investments Corp.;
- Minerales Industrias Corp.;
- Egis Group;
- Leighton Contractors (Philippines);
- JP Power and Wealth Corp.;
- LT Group, Inc.;
- Laguna Lakeshore Consortium (with D.M. Wenceslao and Associates, Inc.’s Delfin J. Wenceslao as chairman);
- Filinvest Land Inc.;
- Macquarie Capital Securities; and
- San Miguel Corp.

Last Aug. 3, the government rolled out its biggest PPP project thus far as it invited parties to bid for a P122.8-billion ($2.73-billion) undertaking that will address flooding and facilitate traffic flow along the western shore of Laguna Lake, from Taguig City in Metro Manila to Los Banos, Laguna.

The Laguna Lakeshore Expressway-Dike project consists of two parts, namely the construction of a 47-kilometer flood control dike -- on top of which will be a six-lane expressway -- from Taguig City to Los Baños for about P64.914 billion; and the reclamation of 700 hectares west of the expressway-dike for about P57.897 billion “to... create opportunities for developing a new business and residential area on reclaimed land, to enhance regional and urban development”.

The auction for the deal will consist of two stages. First, the government will qualify interested parties to submit proposals based on minimum legal,technical and financial requirements set by Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH). After this, the project will be bid out.

Ariel C. Angeles, a member of the DPWH’s Special Bids and Awards Committee, said via text early this month that the “design, build, operate and maintain” contract will have a 37-year term.

DPWH Secretary Rogelio L. Singson reiterated by text last month that the department was looking to completely bid out the project this December.

A concession agreement is targeted to be signed by March 2015, with construction to start late next year and finish in 2021, Mr. Singson had said in June.

Seven PPP projects under the administration’s flagship infrastructure program have been awarded so far: the P2.01-billion Daang Hari-South Luzon Expressway Link Road; the P15.52-billion Ninoy Aquino International Airport Expressway; the P16.42-billion first phase of the PPP for School Infrastructure Project (PSIP); PSIP’s P8.80-billion second phase; the P5.69-billion Philippine Orthopedic Center modernization; the P1.72-billion Automatic Fare Collection System; and the P17.52-billion Mactan-Cebu International Airport Passenger Terminal Building.

Five others have been rolled out: the P2.5-billion Integrated Transport System (ITS) Project-Southwest Terminal; the P4-billion ITS Project-South Terminal; the P24.4-billion Bulacan Bulk Water Supply Project; the P35.42-billion Cavite-Laguna Expressway.; and the P64.9-billion LRT Line 1 Cavite Extension Operation & Maintenance. -- CJVDP