Arts & Leisure


Derek Ramsay hits ABS-CBN ‘ban’ against him




Posted on July 29, 2014


FILIPINO-BRITISH actor Derek Ramsay assailed his former home studio, Lopez-led ABS-CBN Corp. for allegedly implementing a ban against him promoting his latest movie Trophy Wife.

Mr. Ramsay said he had been informed by his colleagues from ABS-CBN that he cannot appear on any of the network’s shows. His co-actors in the movie, including John Estrada and ABS-CBN contract star Cristine Reyes, can promote the movie in the network. The two actors however are allegedly prohibited from even mentioning Mr. Ramsay’s name as a member of the movie’s cast.

The movie will open in cinemas tomorrow.

"I heard about the ban, and I feel bad about it," Mr. Ramsay said at a press conference last week. "I was once part of the ABS-CBN family, so I am very disappointed on why all these are happening," he added.

Mr. Ramsay was an exclusive ABS-CBN contract star for seven years before he left the network in 2012 to transfer to Pangilinan-led TV5.

"I thought ABS-CBN understood my decision to transfer to TV5. I cannot understand why they [ABS-CBN officials] are doing this to me," the 37-year-old actor told reporters.

In Trophy Wife, Mr. Ramsay plays a man whose ex is now married to his brother. As she plots her revenge against him, he must try to prevent hurting his brother, who does not know of their previous relationship.

Directed by Andoy Ranay, Trophy Wife is produced by Viva Films and Multivision Pictures Entertainment Philippines.

It is not the first time that Mr. Ramsay was prohibited from promoting a movie on ABS-CBN.

In 2012, Mr. Ramsay could not promote A Secret Affair on ABS-CBN. The network allegedly requested the movie’s producer, Viva Films, to provide ABS-CBN a separate movie trailer which did not mention Mr. Ramsay’s name, nor show any scenes featuring the actor.

ABS-CBN officials were not available to comment as of the press time.

Sources traced the problem to 2012 when Mr. Ramsay signed up with TV5 while in the middle of negotiations to renew his contract with the Lopez-led network.

Mr. Ramsay said his decision to transfer to TV5 was for the growth of his career as an actor. "I just compared the offers from both networks and the projects being offered by TV5 were really close to my passion, which is sports, as well as travel and leisure," he said.

Mr. Ramsay said he is willing to meet with ABS-CBN officials to discuss how to have the ban against him lifted.

Hastings Holdings Inc., a unit of MediaQuest Holdings Inc. -- which is a subsidiary of the Beneficial Trust Fund of Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT), and which operates TV5 -- has a majority stake in BusinessWorld. -- Jeffrey O. Valisno